Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Wovember photo competition

HelenaCallumGoldilocks
"Goldilocks"
My photo taken at Masham Sheep Fair 2010, and a prize winner in the Wovember competition


Wovember was the brainchild of Kate Davies and Felicity Ford. Their idea was, for the month of November 2011, to celebrate wool and its unique qualities. They aimed to make people aware of what is special about wool, and perhaps to bring about changes in how garments and textiles are described. Too often the word "wool" is used for a fabric when the fibre content includes little or no sheep's wool.

There were many thought-provoking, finely illustrated and well crafted articles posted on the Wovember blog, see for example "Wool is ... " and "An end of Wovember story". And the masterful Hall of Shame showing examples of misleading marketing.

There was also a Wovember photo competition, where entrants were asked to submit photos that, for them, encapsulated the idea of 100% wool. There were lots of entries, and they can all be seen in the gallery. I sent a couple of my favourite sheep portraits, taken at the Masham Sheep Fair last year (my post at the time). Yesterday I was delighted to learn that one of my entries had been selected as a runner up in the sheep category! You can see all the winners here, and this post is a great one, giving an insight into the judging process: it is splendid to see the short-listed photos grouped together into categories.

I've won a voucher to spend at Blacker Designs, which will be fun. Thank you!

I think the sheep in my photo is a Lincoln Longwool: can anyone confirm that? or perhaps you know better?

No comments: