Although my fabric looks a bit wonky when compared with the perfectly square design, these pictures show that the software approach can give a good idea of the appearance of the fabric. I had to flip the plan image to match the order of the colours in the fabric, so I think I did not do the warping and wefting exactly in the order they should have been. The yarns used were: Texere Yarns Pure Lambswool 4 ply (natural), Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Merino in Tropical storm (blues) and Araucania Ranco Solid in 108 (Green).
My intention is to make a credit card wallet from this, fairly short, piece of fabric. I ran out of the blue yarn (lack of weaving experience here, if I'd thought a bit harder I'd have made the warp considerably shorter!), and the rest of the fabric has green replacing the blue in the weft, as seen in the image below. Some of this remaining fabric may eventually be made into a sunglasses case.