Sunday, 22 January 2012

My second, third and fourth Muckle Mitts

My first pair of Muckle Mitts


My first Muckle Mitt was introduced in an earlier post. Now I have finished the second one, and have my first pair of Muckle Mitts. This pair used my souvenir yarns from South Uist.

Delighted with them, and having purchased 200 Fair Isle Designs: Knitting Charts, Combination Designs, and Colour Variations by Mary Jane Mucklestone ( available in the US as 200 Fair Isle Motifs), I carried straight on to make a second pair. This time I followed the principles described in the book to replace the chart in the original pattern with a slightly different one.
My second pair of Muckle Mitts, using design #173 from 200 Fair Isle Designs: Knitting Charts, Combination Designs, and Colour Variations by Mary Jane Mucklestone

Design #173 on my second pair of Muckle Mitts


The original chart was based on design #172 in the book, and I didn't move very far to source my variation, which is based on #173. This has a different number of stitches in each repeat from the original, but as the repeat still fits into the number of stitches in the mitt, it works well. This was such an easy change to make - it makes a great first step towards Fair Isle designing.

I'm also pleased to have used some of my own handspun (it was starting to pile up) and have moved on to make some patterned mittens using the rest of the skein. The yarn (Ravelry Link - login required) was spun from prepared BFL & Sparkle dyed by Felt Studio UK.

No comments: