Sunday, 11 August 2013

By-product Kanzashi

Kanzashi brooch
made with fabric leftovers from making drawstring bags

When I made a couple of drawstring bags a few weeks ago, I saved the little squares of fabric that the tutorial had you cut out as part of the process of "boxing" the bottom corners of the bags (an alternative to stitching across and chopping off the corners after the side seams are sewn).

At that point I didn't have a use in mind for them, I just thought they were nice little squares! A few weeks later though I learned how to make Kanzashi flowers, and rather pleasingly, the starting point for making these flowers is little squares of fabric.

You also need felt for the backing, and I had a little of that left over after making my bobbin table lamps.

Kanzashi components


So, another brooch just had to be made!

No comments: